1. Sip an umbrella drink by the pool.
2. Make an ice cream sandwich out of a waffle.
Here are 21 other ice cream sandwiches you should also consider.
3. Take a mini road trip just to eat something amazing.
Roadfood is the best guide to road trip food — hands down. Now a website, the guide was originally a book that came out in 1977 when the writers Jane and Michael Stern started documenting American regional food. Then it turned into a magazine column in Gourmet, and several more books, and now it’s a huge online database of regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.
All that is to say, pick one meal (or a bunch?) near you, and make it a summer goal to get there.
Pictured above from top left, clockwise: ice cream at Blue Bunny Ice Cream Parlor in La Mars, Iowa; buffalo chicken wings at Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York; a platter from Ted's Hot Dogs in Tonawanda, New York; a beef taco at El Charro in Tuscon, Arizona.
4. Make ice cream from scratch.
5. Throw a party with a DIY Hot Dog Bar.
Or get yourself invited to one? Awesome topping bar ideas over here from Bon Appetit. Here are some other great ones from Taste of Home.
6. Go berry picking.
7. Have a bowl of cold soup on a hot day.
Get the recipe for Chilled Peach Soup with fresh Goat Cheese.
8. Make Banana Nutella S’mores
9. Grill a cocktail.
Get the recipes for five cocktails made with grilled ingredients on Bon Appetit.
10. Eat blueberry pie.
11. Snack on the beach.
12. Drink something out of a coconut.
13. And also out of a pineapple.
14. Grill a steak.
15. Freeze something fun into your ice cubes.
16. Eat watermelon ON A STICK.
17. Go on a picnic.
18. Eat tomatoes when they are in season and taste like dreams coming true.
19. Eat them for breakfast too.
20. Start an herb garden — even if you don’t have outdoor space.
21. Eat a boozy fresh fruit salad.
22. Eat Maryland blue crabs.
23. Make cold-brew coffee.
24. Or, if you’d like to live forever, give up coffee for iced matcha tea.
25. Eat Dippin’ Dots.
BTW, there’s a machine for that now.
26. Grill peaches.
27. Actually, grill all the fruit.
28. Make a classic mint julep.
The ice is the most important part.
29. Eat an unreasonable amount of guacamole.
30. Eat Mexican street corn.
31. Hang out around a fire and drink whiskey.
32. Preferably out of a flask.
33. Eat cherries while they’re in season.
34. Eat a lobster roll.
35. Eat a corn dog.
36. Drink Pimm’s Cups as often as possible.
37. Kick it on a sick lawn chair.
38. Make some weird Jell-O shots.
39. Grill beer-can chicken.
40. Drink rosé.
41. Have an early dinner party outside, and sit around talking past when it gets dark.
42. Make pesto out of summer corn.
43. Dip popsicles in Prosecco.
44. Go camping.
45. Eat melon and prosciutto.
46. Fall asleep in a hammock.
Cat shows how it’s done.
47. Stuff your face on the Fourth of July.
48. Eat as many regional BBQ styles as possible.
49. Do some day drinking — even when you have to hide it.
50. Grill kale for a salad.
Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums
51. Drink frozen hot chocolate.
52. Make this incredible black rice salad.